Thursday, October 17, 2019

Botswana, Africa

Today was majestic. I was able to literally take a walk with elephants. The herd was led by one of the females named Verna, as elephants are matriarchal. These mammals are so phenomenal; I had no idea how intuitive and thoughtful they were. Their calves followed closely within the middle - protected at all times. A friendly guy, that I nicknamed Horton, came right up to me and ate the woody part of the tree that I held right out of my hand. I have to admit...I was a tad nervous at first, but those beautiful creatures quickly put me at ease. Before I knew it, I was splashing and laughing in the water right beside a 13,000-pound animal! I was amazed to learn from our guide, Baruti, that elephants are highly intelligent and have an incredible memory. I honestly never wanted to leave, but the people in my travel group were becoming hungry and so were the elephants! You don't want to mess with an elephant's diet - after all, they need to eat up to 330 pounds of food a day! Whoa!

Just take a look at these gorgeous animals! My pictures do not do them justice. This part of my trip genuinely took my breath away! 
Simply amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment